Friday, March 28, 2008

What The Prof Is Reading Now

One might well think - today - that mere Christianity extends no further than the pews or the pulpit. But when we observe believers actively living and engaging the culture around them, from library excursions to Starbuck's forages, we realise that the opportunities to further and enliven the Kingdom are all around us.
Augustine's City of God is without a doubt, one of the greatest monumental works of religious inspiration. Although some writers have indicated that it was written as a sort of literary tombstone to Roman culture, Augustine's principles shine radiantly through, as he deals with the corruption of the Roman's pursuit of earthly pleasures: "grasping for praise, open-handed with their money; honest in the pursuit of wealth, they wanted to hoard glory."
Augustine contrasts his condemnation of Rome with an exaltation of Christian culture. The glory that Rome failed to attain will only be realised - he reminds us -by citizens of the City of God; the physical manifestation of the heart of God...the Community of Believers.
All throughout the work, he contrasts (often starkly) "Your Virgil" and "Our Scriptures," showing the disparity between the pagan and Christian cultures.
As one scholar points out, "Even if Augustine's prose strikes modern ears as a bit bombastic, and if his polarized Christian/pagan world is more binary than the one we live in today, his arguments against utopianism and his defense of the richness of Christian culture remain useful and strong."
Overall, the work is beautiful and encouraging, rich and full of vibrant Christianity. One must, however, be prepared to wade into the thick mire of learned Classicalism if one will obtain the true wine from the fruit he offers. Some of his analogies, and some of his colloquialisms will send you scurrying to latin references (or to the Oxford English Concise), but you will never feel so firmly sure of the final state of the Christian Church, as when you delight in the City of God. It's just another reminder that God is not absent in the Coffeehouse.
"The human mind can understand truth only by thinking, as is clear from Augustine." - Saint Thomas Aquinas

6 comments:

Joshua James said...

Wonderful review, I will have to read this soon. Please comment on my blog www.amodernreformation.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Good day !.
might , probably curious to know how one can make real money .
There is no initial capital needed You may commense to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you need
AimTrust represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with affiliates around the world.
Do you want to become a happy investor?
That`s your chance That`s what you desire!

I feel good, I started to get income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to select a proper companion who uses your savings in a right way - that`s it!.
I earn US$2,000 per day, and what I started with was a funny sum of 500 bucks!
It`s easy to get involved , just click this link http://yvahuguw.virtue.nu/jucorofu.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take our chance together to become rich

Anonymous said...

Hello!
You may probably be very curious to know how one can make real money on investments.
There is no initial capital needed.
You may commense to get income with a money that usually is spent
for daily food, that's 20-100 dollars.
I have been participating in one company's work for several years,
and I'll be glad to let you know my secrets at my blog.

Please visit my pages and send me private message to get the info.

P.S. I make 1000-2000 per day now.

http://theblogmoney.com

Anonymous said...

Hello!
You may probably be very interested to know how one can make real money on investments.
There is no need to invest much at first.
You may commense earning with a sum that usually is spent
for daily food, that's 20-100 dollars.
I have been participating in one project for several years,
and I'll be glad to share my secrets at my blog.

Please visit blog and send me private message to get the info.

P.S. I make 1000-2000 per day now.

[url=http://theinvestblog.com] Online investment blog[/url]

Anonymous said...

Hi!
You may probably be very curious to know how one can make real money on investments.
There is no initial capital needed.
You may begin to get income with a money that usually goes
for daily food, that's 20-100 dollars.
I have been participating in one project for several years,
and I'm ready to let you know my secrets at my blog.

Please visit blog and send me private message to get the info.

P.S. I make 1000-2000 per day now.

http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]

Anonymous said...

Hi!
You may probably be very curious to know how one can manage to receive high yields on investments.
There is no need to invest much at first.
You may commense to get income with a money that usually goes
for daily food, that's 20-100 dollars.
I have been participating in one project for several years,
and I'll be glad to let you know my secrets at my blog.

Please visit blog and send me private message to get the info.

P.S. I make 1000-2000 per daily now.

http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]